What's In My Ears


Friday, August 22, 2008

*laughs*

Gosh, I love high school. Usually I'm just annoyed by everyone, but this year I spend most of my day just laughing. For example, let me tell you about my day.

The history teacher I had last year is also the same one that I have for AP US History. She's so cool and our class has so much fun together (of course, it's also nice being in a class with only 8 other students in it ;D). Anywho, today was more funny than the usual. We were studying the early English colonies in the Americas (Roanoke, Newfoundland, Jamestown...) and in doing such, discussed some of the theorized reasons of what happened to Roanoke. And, I didn't know this, some people apparently actually believe that Roanoke and Atlantis are the same place. XD I got a kick out of that.

But even better yet: apparently there is a very large (like, gargantuan) difference between Walt Disney's version of Pocahontas and what actually happened. Now, most of this I already new, but I just found out the best details of the story today.

The Walt Disney Pocahontas:

The very handsome, very blonde-haired, blue-eyed John Smith comes to the Americas and meets the beautiful young woman Pocahontas. In the period of a few minutes, the two learn how to communicate in a complete language. In the period of a few days, the two fall into a love so deep that Pocahontas is determined that if John Smith is to die, so shall she. Then, in the movie's sequel, Pocahontas meets John Rolfe and journeys forth to England with him on a whim. The two slightly more slowly fall in love and on their way back to the New World, they share a kiss while venturing on towards the sunset. Aww.

Reality:

John Smith was the only person in the Jamestown colony who cared enough about not dying of starvation (because everyone else was too concerned with finding gold). Pocahontas was 12 years old and bald (because Indian children had their heads shaved). They never fell in love. Years later, when Pocahontas is between the ages of 18 and 20, a war is going on between the English settlers and the Indians. The only thing that stalls this dispute is the marriage between Pocahontas and John Rolfe, although, there is belief that there was love in the relationship. The couple then spent a few years in England, but on the return trip, Pocahontas dies of illness. When the dispute between the settlers and Indians starts up again, John Rolfe can't help because he's too immersed in his tobacco industry.

Reality sucks.

Then, later on in Chemistry, we had a small quiz over different tools and such around the lab. One of the things on the quiz was a crucible (a crucible is a tiny bowl used for super-heating things). My teacher asked us if we new what the similarity between the crucible the object and The Crucible the book. No one knew. She then asked what The Crucible was about. Someone told her it was about the Salem witch trials. She then asked, knowing that, what we thought a crucible was for and someone muttered behind me, "Killing witches?" I burst out laughing, drawing much attention to myself.

*laughs* I don't know whether I've finally snapped, or if I'm just reasonably having fun.

No comments: