What's In My Ears


Wednesday, May 21, 2008

I feel like posting...

This is a quote from a short story I'm working on right now. The person talking is a nameless man dying of terminal wounds after a massacre.

"There is a common belief that the sun will rise tomorrow and the next day and the next day. However, I have come to the conclusion that there is no such guarantee in life. So, in that knowledge, I will live today and only today because tomorrow does not exist."

Now, this is a snigbit from the same short story that I have yet to write.

"Take this," he says as he gently pulls up the sword, that beautiful sword, and holds it out to me.
My hands shaking, I reach out to take the shining sheath from his hands. I don't even look at the man; I only have eyes for what's in front of me.
"Wait."
I pause in mid reach. "What?"
The man looks up into my face and locks his eyes to mine. "You have to swear to me on your life and honor that the City Council will fall by this sword. I was too human to have done it myself, but this way, a part of me will be a part of whatever comes next. Will you swear this to me? This is not something to be taken lightly."
I admit I did have to think about it. If I gave my word, my life would be forever controlled by this. Did I want that sort of commitment? I hated the Council, yes, but how much was I willing to devote?
I laughed under my breath. Of course. Now I know the answer. Whether I like it or not, whether I'm ready for it or not, I know the answer.
"I swear to you on my life and honor that I will bring forth the fall of the City Council."

1 comment:

Kelifer said...

*shocked* The moment of truth for K! You really wrote this nicely :D I like the detail and the dialogue fits very well, and of course, I struggle with both =_='''